Embrace Sweets

Friday, July 2, 2010

Celebration of the Senses!

This place is alive, people come here to socialize, to drink and eat exotic foods, they taste wines from across the world and sip Australian espresso with a scoop of Italian goat’s milk gelato. Sweet acid jazz plays in the background and the air is thick with laughter, camaraderie and a sincere feeling of community. What is this place, you’d never believe me; it’s Yamashiro’s Farmers Market.

Who knew a market could consist of more than just produce and veggies, more than Greek olives and 10 types of hummus. This farmer’s market is more of a weekly celebration of the senses and a gathering of those looking for a European experience.

The most wonderful thing about this market are the vendors, truly a unique blend that give this shindig, spice and character. My favorites by far are:



Longshot – Australian Espresso Bar; his coffee is smooth, rich, slightly sweet and clean. I am not a coffee drinker by any means but I can truly appreciate his cups and have become a fan. I never knew coffee could be so creamy and ironically he uses very little milk. There is no bitter after taste like many Starbucks and Coffee Bean drinks leave and you finish with this absolute feeling of satisfaction. If you want an instant teleportation into some small foreign coffee shop, order an espresso or chocolate mocha and you’ll know what I mean. Mark Baird is the owner and operator and a genuinely sweet and passionate man. Relocating here from Australia he came with a dream and a purpose to show us Americans that we don’t know a thing about good coffee. I have to submit and proclaim he is right. In just a short time, Mark has grown his mobile espresso bar into quite the force to reckon with and I feel this is only the tip of the sugar cube of what’s to come.

P.S Try the Australian Cappuccino, amazing!


For more information on Longshot Mobile Espresso Bars – mark@longshotcoffee.com | http://www.longshotcoffee.com/ | 323.495.3015

Also look for them on Facebook (Longshot Coffee) and Twitter (@longshotcoffee)

Bulgarini Gelato - OK, five words, Chocolate Sea Salt + Vanilla Hazelnut! Two completely different flavors that in some cosmic universe (of my choice) were destined to be together. You could not have two more perfect partners than these two. The chocolate is bitter with a salty edge but then BAM the Vanilla Hazelnut waltz's in and smooths everything out. It's literally a celebration in my $4.00 cup.




Bulgarini was recently written about in Tasting Table, in the article they state that their gelato is made from goats milk. This is not correct, only one of the flavors is (not featured here), the rest are of the standard cow's milk; but honestly this changes nothing. It is still fantastic and worth every ounce.


There is something about gelato that is much more special than ice cream and yogurt, perhaps it's just the fact that you're eating something that sounds exotic, 'Gelato' (in a strong Italian accent) or maybe it's the velvety texture and blend of such exotic flavors. Whatever the case, gelato is gift from the Italians and is meant to be enjoyed with good friends, good coffee and a good attitude; Buon appetito.




Yamsada - Last on my list of food favorites is Yamasada and not for any particular reason other than I prefer to eat my dessert first then have dinner (you know take care of the important meal first). Yamasada is Yamashiro's booth where they serve the most amazing mini Tacos in Hollywood. To be honest, I scarfed them down before I could take a photo and I'm not really sure which was which but I can tell you that I had one of each taco.

I am ashamed, but let this be proof to you just how good they are. You can purchase (3) mini tacos (and they are mini) with a good helping of chips, salsa and some kick ass guacamole ($9). All freshly made by the restaurant for your tasting pleasure.


The great thing about this meal is that all three tacos would pair beautifully with any of the wines available for tasting and buying. You can't go wrong. Although this is not the only booth to get food from, it is definitely the most popular and for good reason. The food is fresh, delicious and sharing friendly.

*******

This market is much more than just a Farmer's Market, its more of a large get together of friends and family. This is now my fifth time going and I can definitely pick out the regulars and see familiar faces. The community tables make it easier to sit, eat and share a bottle of wine (which you can pick up for sale at the bar or wine booth). The music is perfect for dancing, or just relaxing and taking in; but the view is what will take your breath away. I have yet to be there on a truly clear, crisp day/night but from what I've seen, it could be worth the wait.

There are few places (venues) in this city that offer you such an array and to top it off it is affordable, easy to get to, and family friendly. At a time, when we're (unfortunately) watching our wallets and keeping in check our budgets, gems like this don't come around enough.

The sun has set on this glorious evening, and the market slows to a close. I can’t say enough that I’m so glad I live here, in this city of lights, smog and celebrity because even in the midst of all of that there is a sanctuary if you can find it, here in the Hollywood Hills. There is truly no place like LA, and frankly no place I’d rather be.

Yamashiro Farmers' Market every Thursday 5 - 9P @Yamashiro
Free Parking and FREE shuttle service available, or valet parking ($7).
Live music, assorted vendors, wine tasting (and selling), DJ spinning eclectic sounds @the Pagoda Bar and so much more.

On a scale of 1 - 5 of must check this out, this is an 11.

4 comments:

John Olsen said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome information. This is just what I need to refresh my senses after a whole week at the office, a weekend of exotic food and some wine. I can't believe that something like this is just at Yamashiro's Farmer's Market. Thanks for the lead!

Jaime said...

I am dying for a cup of Longshot cappuccino right now! Theirs is so creamy and sweet. I am a coffee lover and the minute I first got to taste Longshot's cappuccino I fell in love with the taste.

Bernadette said...

Thanks for featuring Longhshots! I absolutely love their espresso. We share the same passion, food, wine and Farmer's Markets! If you crave for good food and wine you can't go wrong with FMs. Just imagine a one-stop place where you can satisfy all of your cravings, that's what a Farmer's Market is.

Courtney said...

A day spent at Yamashiro FM is indeed a celebration of senses. The sight is splendid and the food to sample are delicious and fresh. My wife loves going to FMs and I usually tag along to enjoy the food and wine available. Its like a bonding time for me and my wife too.