Embrace Sweets

Friday, July 16, 2010

Borekas and 3rd street

Who knew that all I needed in this world was food to be happy. Who knew that walking through a french store and a gallery of exotic foods, sweets and yes even hot sauce could arouse my senses and bring me utter delight. Who knew?

This blog is going to be a series of on-going trips to the Original Farmer's Market @3rd Street. I know you're probably thinking, "my god, this woman has an obsession with Farmers' Markets!" but I promise you it's a healthy one and this market unlike the thousands of others in this city is more than just vendors, hummus, soaps and jazz bands.
The 3rd Street FM is a staple in this city, it originated in 1934 and is still going strong 76 years later. There are the day vendors; who are your typical tent vendors who lease a space for several hours on certain days (just like at a regular farmers market). Then there are the permanent vendors, who are there, well like the name would suggest, permanently. These vendors actually rent space of various sizes inside the building, they have full fledged stores, restaurants and bars. The selection is spectacular and the aromas, well I haven't quite found the words for those yet.

Few would believe me but this next statement is absolutely true - as long as I've lived in LA I've been to 3rd a hand full of times and to the Farmers' Market section once (today being my second). I had no idea what I was missing, but as I get older I realize the best things are also those that you wait for.


Today, Mum and I tackled 3rd street, this was a completely spontaneous opportunity for us, I love when this happens. Upon stepping foot into the market, I was immediately drawn to Moishe's, a Turkish restaurant specializing in tender beef and chicken kebabs, well seasoned rice and my new personal favorite, Borekas!

Borekas! Borekas! Borekas! many of you may know these delicate flatbreads as Börek (also burek, boureka, brik, piroq and other variants). They are as many different names as well as types. When I actually Googled Borekas, the recipes and styles that came up most frequently were more like pastries and similar to Baklava; but what I experienced today was no where near that syrupy, nutty delight.

We ordered the Spinach + Cheese, imagine if spanakopita and naan got together and had a baby, Borekas would be it! This dish was truly a carb-filled fantasy, long stringy cheese, perfectly seasoned, soft bread and just enough spinach to make you think it's healthy. The recipe begins with the dough, which is very thin and rolled out flat, stewed spinach and mozzarella cheese is then added to the center. The flatbread is then put into a stone fire heath and baked until the edges fluff creating almost a wall around the cheese and spinach blend. All sorts of toppings can be exchanged, things like ham, bbq chicken, eggs, bacon, the list is almost endless.
I'm actually very interested in their breakfast Borekas that has bacon and sunny-side up eggs baked on it; I can't wait to start a morning off with that.

So, to wrap this post let me just repeat that Moishe's is a definite must try on your next visit to the market and if you need some company, I'm your girl!

Till the next meal!


4 comments:

Vicky Nelson said...

Hmmn, reading this blog makes want to run to the Moishe's Village and grab me some Borekas! Yum. Thanks for all the pictures as well, the one with the sunny side up egg is very tempting.

Jaime said...

I have been to the 3rd Street's FM a couple of times and I always go home with a full tummy and huge smile on my face. I can't believe though that I have yet to try Moise's Village! I'm kicking myself now! Haha.

Courtney said...

Everytime we drop by the Farmer's Market at 3rd street we never fail to eat at Moishe's Village too. I'm a sucker for their savory beef kebabs! The Borekas are great too specially the ones with barbeque chicken. Man I'm hungry now. Haha

Cheryl (the shackled muse) said...

Oh my word! I really love farmer's markets. Wish there was one closer to where I live (Johannesburg of all places. Busy buys South African city)

I love to browse different stalls and everything there is of offer