Embrace Sweets

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Vinyl Soul


I use to fear we were a world becoming complacent, settling for whatever will do. We didn’t question our surroundings, or why certain things were given to us and others are not. We accepted and allowed mediocre talent to clog our airways and steal our movie screens without ever demanding better.  What would have to happen for us to change that, how could we once again get back to what is real and not doctored up? Away from the cookie cutter molds of Brittany Spears wanna-bes, pre-tween Justin Timberlake’s and the so called hard asses like Lil Wayne and similar rappers.

I love music, dance and just a great performance; but I am tired of the same ten song rotation on my radio stations and the same music videos on constant loop on TV. They have forced me to go on the hunt for real talent; to step outside of the box and try other avenues for entertainment.

Fortunately I am not alone in my quest, thanks to shows like America’s Got Talent, So You Think You Can Dance and of course, American Idol we have become inundated with opportunities to see what else lies out there. (Does anyone remember Star Search?).

For the first time (in perhaps a long time) we, the consumer are asked, ‘what do you think?’ Instead of the big music guys and studio execs telling us what we should be buying and listening to. Good music and talent are at our fingertips and we hold the control button, or do we?

I am amazed by the level of talent found on our streets. From our subways, parks, promenades even farmers’ markets; I believe these are some of the worlds most talented men, women and kids, untouched, un-jaded and more importantly unsigned.

I am a fan of these shows and I appreciate what they are trying to do, give ordinary people (talented people) a world stage to perform and showcase their gifts which ordinarily would not have been available. I sit back and imagine that if I had the money, the resources and the capacity to help these individuals achieve their dreams I would in a heart beat; but how many of them actually get an opportunity past the show?

“The world keeps on spinning, so you might as well enjoy it while you can.” – Vinyl Soul

I had the pleasure of meeting Vinyl Soul at the Yamashiro Farmers’ Market on Thursday; they are one of those groups you listen to and ask why? Why haven’t they been picked up? No one had even noticed that the other band had stopped performing or that they’d set up until JB took to the mic; he was captivating- his vocals were that of a man twice his age, mature and experienced.   
 Immediately he grabbed everyone’s attention and we hung unto his words for the whole set.  They were a breath of fresh air with their soulful tones and Spanish/English lyrics.www.myspace.com/vinylsoul They had a groove and to be honest it was completely unexpected, at first glance I would never have guessed those sounds would have come from them. The lyrics were beautiful, heartfelt and honest; I later found out that they also wrote most of their own music and songs; truly another gift.


I have no doubt that all the artist that currently have ‘made it’, once came from humble beginnings and were once starving artist, but there is nothing like the fire and passion you see in the eyes of those who are just getting started or who have been at for years waiting for their break (their turn), who everyday get out there rain or shine, no entourage, no crew just them and the pavement, fighting for their dream.

I never had a desire to be a performer, actress or musician (except in my shower), I’ve always believed that that desire alone is a special gift. To know that 99% of the time you’re going to be rejected, denied and looked over; to know that all you have is a dream and  a hope that one day someone will notice just how talented you always believed you were, takes guts, courage and a will power I don’t think many of us have.

I admire and respect those that chase their dreams day in and day out, who grow and become stronger every time they are turned down and even more committed to seeing their dreams come to pass.  I admire you and wish for you everything that you want in this world.

Rock on!



Vinyl Soul
www.myspace.com/vinylsoul
323.830.6240
beatween@hotmail.com

5 comments:

Vicky Nelson said...

Yes, I agree the amount of talent, unsigned talents that is surprising! I can see a lot of these talents everywhere, from the streets to myspace and youtube. The likes of Vinyl Soul are countless. Its refreshing to know that we have alternative options now and just stick with what the mainstream media dictates.

Jaime said...

Yes! I remember my cousins and I used to watch Star Search. I, too am a fan of these shows. I just love the intimacy between the artist and the audience you just can't feel with most big named concerts. Nothing beats pure talent!

Bernadette said...

You're absolutely right! We should not let those music big wigs dictate what we can listen to or what music we buy. All we need to do is go out and we would easily find talented people in the streets performing. Thanks for the link for Vinyl Soul's myspace page!

Naomi said...

Vinyl Sound has a nice ring to it. Cool band name and their music is captivating and inviting too. Thanks so much! It seems that your blog has everything, from good food to great music. Keep it up!

Cheryl (the shackled muse) said...

I totally agree! I prefer real music. Not some girl in a push up bra singing a song someone else wrote over beats someone else composed. Give me someone who plays their own instruments and write their own lyrics and perform from the heart, then it really makes an impression on me.