Embrace Sweets

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Flamenco in Silverlake

Never underestimate the power of community. Community tables that is. Tonight was one written in the stars and my wildest dreams came true (on a much more local level). I've been fantasizing of days spent sleeping in and nights wondering the streets of Barcelona in search of tantalizing tapas and soul-wrenching Spanish guitar. I've yearned for dinners surrounded by good friends, international friends, with food, wine, music and conversation. Tonight within a three mile radius I managed to get at least 80% of that.

The place is El Cid (in Silverlake off Sunset) and the theme, purely Spanish. We were wined and dined (and sipped Cava and Sangria), we were entertained with the most beautiful Spanish Guitar, singing and Live Flamenco dancing. The dancers, oh the dancers; you could feel the power of their thighs with each stomp, you could see the passion on their faces as the melody seemed to be driving them. It was truly magical.



This was my first time experiencing Flamenco up close and personal, and trust me watching it on TV is no comparison. My mom said it best, she said that a person who can do something like that [dance], really well and so passionately has to be completely present. There is no time or room for thinking about your to-do list or what's happening tomorrow. They are completely focused and in the zone.

I recently took up Tango and I have to admit that statement is true, my teacher says learning [tango] is like learning a new language but once you understand it, once it becomes a part of you, then you no longer have to think about, you just move. The dancers tonight were wonderful and there is no doubt in my mind that they love, breathe, and dream of this music. Not only is it apart of their culture, it is apart of them.

Community - I found myself surrounded by some really beautiful people tonight, we weren't long time friends, neighbors or colleagues. We didn't go to school together or even have a hobby in common (that I know of), we simply were lovers of Spanish food, Spanish music and exploring all this city has to offer. Some of us had been to El Cid before the rest (like myself) were newbies.
 
We all shared a large communal table, our seating pre-arranged by the host and one by one we opened up and turned an unfamiliar event into a soirée. We dined, talked, exchanged names, interest and then the show began; we all watched with amazement and were literally stunned by the sheer force and power of the dancers performance. We were now connected in a way that none of us expected. This is what I dream about.


I have to admit, although I still have yet to touch España soil, it was nice to experience this and to know that it's possible so close to home.


The show ended and we said our goodbyes; exchanging emails and Facebook accounts, twitter ID's and blog addresses. In a city like LA, something like this doesn't happen often enough, but you treasure it when it does. I can't say we'll all stay in touch but we definitely will remember this night fondly, and if by chance we should meet again in another Spanish dive or small Spanish town we'll know we have a friend to toast Sangria and enjoy the sounds.

Feliç aniversari, Mike! So nice to meet you Sandra.
Rose, você é linda , eu imediatamente senti sua vibe brasileira no momento em que chegou à nossa mesa. Allen, you are a lucky man.
Kristan, thank you for being so inviting and breaking the ice. Dan, I still would pay top dollar to see you on stage! Let me know when that happens.

El Cid, gràcies pel menjar , la música, el cava i l'amor. Espanya viuen molt de temps !

Viven en España, we're rooting for you!!

Brandi

3 comments:

Apple said...

I have been to El Cid once and I can't wait to go there again. The atmosphere at El Cid is so enticing. I can't wait to see some flamenco dancing!

Apple said...

I have been to El Cid once and I can't wait to go there again. The atmosphere at El Cid is so enticing. I can't wait to see some flamenco dancing!

Naomi said...

Community tables are indeed very powerful and one night of sharing food, fine wine and music and dancing with new friends is a must have experience. You could never go wrong with hanging out with people who enjoy the same things as you are, right?