Embrace Sweets

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sweet Dreams!

So what's a girl to do when she's got a killer sweet tooth and nothing in site to soothe it? Well, she has to pick up her britches and head out to find something, of course. My first choice is ALWAYS cupcakes, growing up in a house full of chocolate and having a parent who bakes brownies for a living, you realize pretty quickly that not just anything will do. I believe that I know good desserts when I taste them and I know GREAT desserts without a doubt; but when you can combine great taste and a great price, well that's just a recipe for success. 

So, first stop Hansen's Bakery. Before I begin I must say that I have been an advent Sprinkles lover for years and until now, no one and I mean NO ONE could come close. This is of course after trying just about every cupcake place I could find (and just fell into) from the top to the bottom of California.  Recently however, on the suggestion of my favorite Target Checkout boy, I was informed of a well kept secret cupcake location. I was told that these cupcakes were not only large, flavorful, had creamy frosting BUT (drum roll) were only $1.00 each. OMG, could this be? Something must be wrong with them? I think my Target Foodie bumped his head. 
No, Hansen's Bakery is just that and a bag of chips. The cupcakes were wonderful; mummie and I shared three delicious and as close to perfect cupcakes. My only mark is that the cupcakes are kept in a refrigerated case, which means they are cold and the frosting is stiff but after about five minutes in the sun they were chilled, slightly warming and ready to eat. 

We ordered the Lemon with Coconut, Red Velvet (because everyone claims to have the best) w/White Chocolate Chips and a Chocolate w/Chocolate sprinkles- flavors you can't really go wrong with and usually are always good. Hansen's doesn't get as creative with the flavors as say Sprinkles, Crumbs or Cupcake & Co, they stick to the basics. This is not a problem, like the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. Hansen's stays true to this. 
The cupcakes are only a $1.00 because they are made from the left over cake batter from cakes made that day. So there really isn't much *extra* work needed to go into the process; they're basically making use of what would have been wasted. Think of them as 'Green' or 'Eco' friendly Cupcakes. :-)

The cupcakes really are that good, and at a $1.00 a piece you really wonder how did we get so far from a cupcake just being a cupcake.  

P.S. You know what would really set this off? A cup of my Australian Cappuccino  (Longshot!).

Back Story: Hansen's Cakes is over seven generations old and has been continuously passed down from generation to generation within the family, currently Patrick Hansen runs this sweet joint. Hansen's Bakery has been a Los Angeles staple for many years and countless celebrities, athletes, people in high places and us commoners have depended on them for all our cake fulfilling needs. You may have even seen Patrick and his team making special appearances on the Tori & Dean show (Birthday cakes for the kids) and The Kardashians (Khloe + Omars Wedding).

4 comments:

Apple said...

I love absolutely love cupcakes! Thanks for sharing your experience at Hansen's, they are indeed one of California's staple when we talk cakes. I can't wait to much on some yummy Hansen cupcake.

Bernadette said...

I love your blog! Your writing is detailed and the food reviews are my favorite. I enjoy reading your food excapades! I saw that Kardasian's episode and recall that the cake was from Hansen's. The cupcakes looks delish.

Cheryl (the shackled muse) said...

My personal favourite is Brandy Balls. I'm not really sure if its a South African thing, but they're awesome!

Lawi Kiwi said...

weh.. those cupcakes look so good, it gave me the munchies. Love your blog btw ^^.