Embrace Sweets

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summertime Music

What is it about summer music, Jason Mraz, Bob Marley and Michael Buble? All those wonderful, fun, light-hearted artist.

I find it amazing how music can tele-port you. You could be having the crappiest day ever and your song comes on and suddenly you feel upbeat and you're instantly in a better mood. Music just makes everything better, it's really crazy how that works.

I love how every time Jason Mrazs' song, I'm Yours comes on:

"I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror
And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
And so I drew a new face and laughed
I guess what I'm be saying is there ain't no better reason
To rid yourself of vanity and just go with the seasons
It's what we aim to do
Our name is our virtue"

I can't help but smile and imagine myself playing in the ocean, running between the surf and drinking coconut water with someone I love.

I could be in a restaurant and Michael Buble will come on over the speakers and I'll be reminded of all my past loves, I don't think about the pain or hurt or why we aren't together; I think about all the passion and good times and that love that I felt fills my heart again, how at that moment everything felt like it was going to be more than just OK and I knew I was safe.

I love Nina Simone and every time she comes on I feel like the sexiest woman in the room. I feel like she's singing to me and giving me instructions on just how to be "that chick", 'Put Some Sugar in My Bowl' is her telling her man exactly what she wants and how. If that's not sexy I don't know what is. It's just that sensuality, that magic in her voice, it makes you feel like you're something else.

Music is so, so powerful and it really doesn't matter what type of music you're into, if you feel it, that music literally gets inside you, inside your bones and just radiates through every cell in your body. For those three minutes and thirty seconds or longer you almost feel invincible, you feel as if nothing could touch you. 

I love music. I love that I am fortunate to have my life filled with beautiful music. Even when I can't travel or my days don't work out exactly the way I had hoped, music is my salvation and my vehicle to a place of my wildest dreams. To live without music should be a crime and to live without music in your heart should be impossible.

Go ahead and play your favorite song, Rock On!

4 comments:

John Olsen said...

I have been a huge Jason Mraz fan eversince I heard Sleep All Day! His wordplay and fun onstage attitude I love most. I remember when I'm Yours came out, it was stuck on replay for a week on iPod.

John Olsen said...

I have been a huge Jason Mraz fan eversince I heard Sleep All Day! His wordplay and fun onstage attitude I love most. I remember when I'm Yours came out, it was stuck on replay for a week on iPod.

Naomi said...

Ditto! Music is our soul's language and it indeed does not matter what genre it is as long as it touches our soul.

My music preferences usually shifts according to my mood, and vice versa. Nothing compares to an afternoon of Frank Sinatra songs filling my room.

Courtney said...

Music is a powerful language, like what you said it can easily alter your mood and usually can remind you of memories from long ago. When I hear Beach Boys I would almost automatically remember my summers spent in my grandpa's beach home in Hawaii. Their song reminds me of the sound of the waves and the fine sand. Good memories.