Embrace Sweets

Monday, August 16, 2010

Bricks and Scones (far from stones)

OK, I like so many others believe my mom makes the best (enter item here) in the world! In this case, it's true BUT I have found someone who can easily take the 1st place and 1/2 next to mums (come on she's my mom). I had the lucky fortune of stepping into Bricks and Scones today, lucky fortune because everywhere else was crowded and had no parking and some how I ended up down the street from them. I had been in once before but it was so brief that I didn't get a chance to fully appreciate this amazing space; but today I had time to come in, order, sit, blog and relax.

I have never seen a coffee/tea shop so well decorated, laid out, spacious and inviting. Starbucks and even Coffee bean could take a note from the Kim's; but you see that's just it, this is a family owned and operated business, daughter runs the cafe, dads in the office and mom...well like all great moms she takes care of feeding everyone. Mrs. Kim is literally up every morning @4:30 am baking all the desserts you see below.  
Once they're sold that's it for the day and if you're lucky enough to come in before closing anything that's left is yours for 1/2 the price.  This is their guarantee you're only being served the best and the freshest daily.

The shop decor feels more like you're in someones home, it's two levels with the top being the 'quiet area'.  The 'quiet area', where I am residing as I write this, lives up to it's name aside from the sounds of nails hitting keyboards and spoons taping the sides of cups - this space is a great work spot. There are several desk equipped with it's own lamp, electrical outlet and depending on where you sit, window - as well as comfy love seats and big chairs. Everyone up here has their face buried in a book or intently watching their computer screens pretending to be productive on a Sunday.



Downstairs is where the party is, there is a large full patio in the front area with umbrellas at every table, wrought iron tables and tons of sitting. Vines and lush greens seclude you from the main street to the point that make you forget you're actually in a driveway and not in a fantasy courtyard. Past the coffee bar and ordering station is the lounge, here you'll find large sofas, chairs and a wrap around bar for those who come to work and socialize.

You can truly tell a lot of love and thought went into creating this space, this is not a cookie cutter nor a place you're bound to find on just any corner. In fact unless you know it's here you might just drive past it; there is limited signage out front and because the patio is covered you wouldn't notice people sitting outside even on a crowded day.


So, of course I had to order a variety of things and bring them home to share with my partner in crime and tasting. We shared a blueberry cream cheese croissant, chocolate chip croissant and blueberry scone with clotted cream and honey. Now the croissants were amazing, I loved the blueberry CC, mum nearly inhaled the chocolate chip but what we both were in awe over was the scone. Like I said in the beginning my mom is known across the country for a lot of things but one of them being is her scones. Unlike traditional scones (hard, dry, similar to baseballs), hers are also soft, moist and full of flavor. Many people have said that her scones were not scones because of the simple fact that they were enjoyable - tell me, how can this be a crime? Anyway, I digress Mrs. Kim's scones were excellent, they were warm, soft and packed with bursting blueberries. You could taste the salted butter, cream and to be honest adding the clotted cream and honey was almost to much. They were perfect without it. :-)

Ahh, by George I think I have found a new place to gather. It's time to assess the troops and prepare for what could be a long summer, with tea, pastries and a 'quiet area' to call my own.

FYI: B+S also caters to those with Gluten allergies - they have a very interesting bun called the Chewy Sesame Seed But - I didn't try it but as I looked around several people were diving into one, so it's bound to be good. Check out Bricks and Scones if you're in the Larchmont area and even if you're not - still come by. They could use your support, it's places like this we need more of to bring spice and uniqueness to our communities.

Indulge!

Bricks and Scones
403 N. Larchmont Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90004
(323) 463-0811 
contact us at : info@bricksandscones.com

No comments: