Embrace Sweets

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Closer Than Going to Mexico

I've been planning a wonderful, exotic, Mexican vacation for the past 10 years, well to be honest I've been planning an European, South American and Mediterranean vacation too, I know one of these days I'll actually be booking the tickets.  In the meantime I may have found a temporary solution (or better yet quick fix) for my Mexican vacay blues. Ricky's Tacos.

They are cheaper than a vacation package, arrive faster than the actual flight and can instantly teleport you to the desired little Baja hut and/or Cantina of your wildest dreams.

I stumbled upon Ricky's not by accident, and anyone who has been will tell you why.  They are close to impossible to find if you don't know what you're looking for.  Ricky's is well hidden in the parking lot behind a beauty salon in Silverlake.  Blue tarps and rickety chairs and tables make up this faux-restaurant.  The food speaks for itself and as you're enjoying your meal you find you've completely forgotten that just behind the wrought iron gates is a busy, noisy street and your table setting consist of plastic cups, forks and Styrofoam plate.

Ricky's Taco, are freshly made when you order, large pieces of fresh fish are dipped in secretly seasoned batter (that in my opinion, could put the Colonel to shame) and deep fried in large wok-style pans until a perfect shade of golden reminiscent of the sunsets you're sure to experience along the mexican coastline. You don't need tarter sauce, cocktail sauce or anything else for that matter - the tacos are amazing just as they are.

Until experiencing Ricky's I was a fan of Baja Fresh fish tacos and of course Poquito Mas; I still enjoy these places as well but they have now become my second and third choice when you just can't make it to Ricky's.

Who said you couldn't take a mini beach vacay during your lunchtime? I'm planning one today! :-)

No comments: