Embrace Sweets

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Smoke This Joint

Baby Backs w/Mac 'n' Chez and Loaded Baked Potato








(2) sauces
Now, I don't necessarily pride myself on having a knack for barbecuing or even being a BBQ aficionado, but I do believe that like most of us I know good BBQ when I come across it. Mom on the other hand is hands down the BBQ queen and if she says it's the best well then you know you have a winner. 


Catfish (Appetizer)

The Best Baked Beans!
Next in line for our weekend food challenge is The Smokin Joint on West 3rd St in West Hollywood.  So, off the bat I was a little concerned, they call themselves a "Fine California BBQ" restaurant, now doesn't that seem to be an oxymoron? I mean Fine + BBQ I can't imagine the two going together. Isn't BBQ supposed to be sticky, messy and fun? Since when do you eat BBQ with a knife and fork with delicate white napkins on your lap? Well, I am happy to report that Smokin may be 'Fine' but they are still firmly rooted in the BBQ tradition. We ordered the Catfish (appetizer) 15 hour brisket, baby backs, mac 'n' chez, loaded baked potato and of course baked beans, the baked beans by the way were boasted as being The Best in LA, obviously they haven't tasted mine. Their sauces were superb, you actually get three to choose from (vinegar based, Carolina style and a special made in house) and they come out separately so you can add as much or as little to your dish. The meats were tender and well flavored, my brisket was cooked for over 15 hours and as it literally melted in my mouth I agree it was worth the effort. Nothing ruins a good meal (especially BBQ) faster than feeling like you're fighting with your meat - the constant pull and tug when even a knife seems to dull and give up over the effort is a sure fire deal breaker. 

15hour Brisket w/Baked Beans

What was also a great, unexpected treat were the pickles they accompany every dish. At first I just over looked them and pushed them to the side, but the owner actually bought them to my attention and insisted I try them. Shockingly they were fantastic. They are sweet, firm, crisp and best of all made in house. They finish off the meal perfectly and could also be great sides on their own.
Elton John on the Big Screen
Autographed Guitars

Smokin's location is ideal, located walking distance from the Beverly Center there is tons of parking and steady foot traffic, it's also a welcomed addition to the same ole food places that have been in the area for years. It was time the area got 'spiced' up a bit. :-)

The owner (a former musician) also keeps true to tradition with the number of autographed guitars hanging on the walls, pictures of musicians and the large television wall display featuring concerts such as Live8, Coachella , and many others.

You're guaranteed great food, great music and great service - could you really ask for more?  

So the next time you're in the mood for BBQ, head over to 3rd Street and give Smokin a try, I promise you won't be disappointed.. :-) Dig in.










8486 W. 3rd St. Los Angeles


   

No comments: