Embrace Sweets

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

There's a Carb in Heaven For Me

Is it just me or all of the best things in life centered around breads, pasta, sugar and of course butter? As my Mum says, "Why would anyone want to live without it, you'd might as well just shoot yourself" - ok, so maybe that's a little harsh but come on you have to agree (at least a little).  We've been led to believe that these things are 'bad for us' but how can anything be bad in "Moderation".  If you have moderation you can have anything. I suppose the challenge comes in with maintaining the moderation part.

So if I share a blueberry scone and hot tea in the morning, have a small slice of tomato basil foccacia bread with my lunch (of fresh made pasta and sliced chicken) and for dinner salivate and enjoy a moderate portion of butterscotch bread pudding does that count as moderation? Probably not.

If you've had the pleasure to read the book (or see the movie) Eat Pray Love, then you'll know exactly what I'm getting at.  The main character of the book spends three months in Italy and makes the most wonderful statement that 'No carb will be left behind'.  I couldn't have said it better myself. Fully taking advantage of a wonderful opportunity and the fresh country, she indulges in gelato, fresh made pastas and tomato sauces, sautéed in butter everything and of course pizza! Oh, the pizza - I'm convinced that in heaven there is an endless supply of all your favorite foods just waiting for you and to make sure you never get tired of them, you have the memory of a goldfish, so every time you eat something it's like the first time. Amazing.

I am in awe sometimes when I step back and listen to my conversations about food, when did this happen? How did this happen?  I was born in Georgia but raised in California, as a child I was a very picky eater but what I did love was my Grandmother and Great-grandmothers' cooking.  Southern fried chicken breast, collard greens, sweet potatoes and pound cakes.  This type of cooking wasn't for everyday meals but reserved for Sunday dinners, holidays, and special occasions. But it wasn't until my late 20's that I really started to appreciate food and venture out to new cuisine. My idea of 'good food' or even just food I'd eat was so limited, I was so fearful and timid.  Even when I started traveling through Southeast Asia, South America and the Caribbean, I kick myself now because I completely missed out.  Well, on the other hand the upside is I just have to go back and re-experience those places correctly.

Perhaps food has just gotten better with time, like wine, olive oil and canned fruit; I do believe there is some truth to this. Over the last decade so many culinary milestones and advances have been made in the industry. All these new types of salts, sugars, olive oil combinations, herbs and spices; different cuts of meats, hybrid vegetables and fruits, even down to the style and way things are cooked has evolved.  What was once unthought of, impossible or just considered 'wrong' is now copied and exploited all over the place.  Traditional cooking and ceremonial cooking has found a place in chic, boutique restaurants and supper clubs - eating has become fun, fashionable and interesting.  There are more food critics, bloggers (such as myself) and so-called experts than ever before.  Culinary academy's are popping up everywhere, people want to be the chefs they see on reality shows and Food Network, being just a mere 'cook' doesn't hold the fame or light anymore but to be a Chef the possibilities are endless.

Last night my Mum reminded me that when I was young and had a bedtime I used to always think that I was missing out on something, that while I slept she and all the other parents were partying, dancing and having a grand ole time.  Now I know that wasn't the case, she'd be up working late, watching TV or preparing for the next day and then she'd retire as well. Well, now things are different, if I had kids they would definitely believe something was going on while they slept. There might be a few friends over sharing a great new bottle of wine and the latest gossip, mummy and daddy might be making some exotic dinner for two and sharing a slice of Tequila Lime Cheesecake, or maybe I just might find solice in an amazing scoop of Salted Caramel Vanilla Gelato.  Who really knows, but I can tell you this; food is definitely more apart of my life, my friends and anyone I associate with than I could have ever imagined years ago.  I can't even imagine not caring about what I put in my mouth or where I'm getting my ingredients from.  It's a daily conversation but in the most wonderful way, it's not stressful, it's not about dieting or calorie counting; it's about moderation, savoring and honestly just being present and enjoying what you're enjoying.  I believe if you do that, you can't overeat, you can't eat the wrong thing and you can't finish a meal and forget what you ate just a few hours before.

Make every meal count. Appreciate every taste bud. Savor every bite.

Till the next meal!

    

No comments: